We preserve The Hermitage, its stories, and its collections as an educational resource to engage and encourage people of all ages and backgrounds in the exploration and understanding of their past.
A mainstay of the mission of the Friends of the Hermitage is the educational use of The Hermitage and its collections to involve children and adults with the past. More than 10,000 children and adults visit The Hermitage each year. The Friends carry out our mission by providing:
- Guided tours of The Hermitage for the public five days a week
- Scheduled educational programs for schools and Scout groups
- History-themed events and hands-on activities for families
- History lectures and local history roundtable discussions for adults
- Special exhibitions highlighting regional history and the museum's collections
- Professional development seminars for history teachers at the middle- and high-school levels